Thursday, May 01, 2014

'I pretend I’m like a film camera': Alexandra Oliver on Community and Poetic Practice

"I’m a big believer in the musty old adage, “Wherever you go, there you are.” When I begin conjuring the material for a poem, I pretend I’m like a film camera, taking things in from different angles and perspectives. I’m a noticer; I like to turn things over and examine even the most superficially boring aspects of everyday life. Then, sometimes, something mystical and often outlandish enters the room and you get a poem, a real poem that works on different levels. That’s the best outcome of all, and an elusive one at that. But none of this happens without community. By community, I’m not referring to only the literary community, but also those that exist in other spheres: people on the street, in shops, in doctors’ offices, on the bus, at the school gates. You need to take everyone in as part of your circle."

Glasgow-based poet and Pat Lowther finalist Alexandra Oliver discusses community, poetic practice, and the twined perks/problems of being an outsider with The Town Crier's Jess Taylor.

No comments: