Thursday, May 21, 2009

May is for Short fiction

or so says the National Post. Today, they interview one of our own, Rebecca Rosenblum. It can be found here.

Here's one of her answers:

Q: Who are your favourite short story writers? And what did you learn from them, as it applies to the craft of writing short fiction?
A: Oh, you know, Hemingway and Updike did all right, by the world and by me. They don't have all that much in common, but the small salient
details, the clues to character that I feel are at the heart of a lot of the stories of both helped me and inspired me deeply. When I was
quite young, I was a fan of Colette for the same reason: the penetrating look, the small weirdness. More recently, of course there's Leon Rooke, from whom I'm still trying to learn fearlessness...

No comments: