Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rosenblum on Reading


Over at Rose-coloured, Rebecca Rosenblum has some interesting thoughts on public reading. We launched ONCE a week ago Monday at a packed house at the Gladstone, in what was perhaps Biblioasis's most successful launch-to-date. Do to my week-long sojourn in Banff, I have not yet got anything about it up, but will try to rectify that later today. For now, I thought I'd pass over the podium to Rebecca, who will be appearing a couple times this week at Winnipeg's Thin Air Writer's Festival. If you are a Winnipeger, or in the area, please go check her out. I've only heard her read once, but I actually thought that she was pretty darn good.

So: over to Rebecca:

If Rose-coloured is of any practical use, it might be to writers who are or soon will be dealing with stuff like the stuff I'm dealing with. If I can help one writer somewhere not go insane trying to proofread his or her manuscript, my work is probably done. And so, to further that project, I'd like to offer my thoughts on the latest thing I'm trying not to go insane about, which is public readings.

I'm hardly an expert--I counted this morning in the shower and I've done a grand total of seven readings. If you've been to any of them, you know that I am not the world's best reader, but if you've to *several* of them, you know I'm getting better. In addition to those seven incidents, I count as education my considerable time as *audience* for readings, as well as all the time I spend standing on a chair (it helps!) practicing. So maybe, single-didget experience not withstanding, I have a little advice to offer.

The rest can be found here: rebecca-rosenblum.blogspot.com/2008/09/writers-reading.html

No comments: