Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Congratulations to Goran Simić, Winner of the CAA Poetry Award for 2012

Goran Simic

Winner of the Canadian Author's Association
Award for Poetry, 2012

Heartfelt congratulations from all of us at Biblioasis to Goran Simic, whose Sunrise in the Eyes of the Snowman was announced this week as the winner of the CAA Poetry Award for 2012. The cash value of the prize is $2000 and the recipient will be awarded with a silver medal.

Goran Simić was born in Bosnia in 1952 and has been living in Canada since 1996, mostly in Toronto. He has published eleven books of poetry, drama, and short fiction, including Immigrant Blues, From Sarajevo With Sorrow, Sunrise in the Eyes of the Snowman and Yesterday's People.

To read more about the CAA Awards, or about the other winners, please visit the CAA website.


"Sunrise in the Eyes of the Snowman"

Kiss me. Breathe into my mouth the way lovers do. 
Taste my neck before I melt down to my waist. 
Kiss me when only shiny flakes are left. 

When horoscopes start sounding like weather reports, 
when the radio announces short sleeves on spring uniforms, 
let me love myself hugging ice cubes in the bottom of your glass. 

Every morning gives birth to the night, 
the time when your guests come dressed in black. 
I repeat your words engraved on my wedding ring: 
flowers are replaceable and only flower pots remain. 

But will you love me, a swollen carrot 
and two charcoal eyes on the pavement 
in a cold puddle? 

No comments: