Saturday, April 07, 2012

Flower in the Crannied Wall

Hello all. Happy Easter, day two, and poetry month day seven. Yours from the woods of Port Elgin!

Flower in the Crannied Wall

Al Moritz

From Crossroads Near Somewhere (2006)

Flower in the crannied wall,
wall ever wearing away, flower ever repairing there,
wall ever dragged toward the condition of a sieve,
more space than stone, a finest filter, a scallop of lace
to embrace and manifest an invisible breast,
flower ever bound to find the condition of being a flower.
O simple clover I seem to be someone grasping you,
your root, your naked legs and waist
dragged from your covering, where you grew,
from your home that you loved and despised, crying.
Forgive me if I seem to say I know
and I do not know and dying
I hold you ignorant
and wondering aloud. Let God close space
and give the day again when I first saw you
leaning back against the wall
and heard in the curve of your throat exposed
the leaf and purl of human flesh.

No comments: