Sunday, April 13, 2008

Another glowing review of boYs ...

... is due out this week in The Current, St. John's cultural paper, though it can be found in toto early here:

chadpelley.wordpress.com/2008/04/10/why-she-had-my-vote-for-the-winterset-award-a-review-of-kathleen-winters-boys/

An excerpt:

This book defies a nutshell summary. There is no genre that could encase this collection of short stories. It is too fresh, too new, too unique, and in the best way possible. This book is alive! Every sentence pops like firecrackers ... It is a book you read for it’s ultra-modern, punchy, lucid diction. ... Kathleen can portray the normalcy of things with a rare and gifted simplicity. As I read the pages I saw images, not words. It is one of few books I’ve read that appeals to all of the senses.




Oh yes: I should also include this one last tidbit. After all, it's not every day the publishing house gets kudos in a review!


Lastly, hats off to her publisher, Biblioasis, for taking a shot on this atypical collection of short stories, and I am glad to see it is working out for them! Biblioasis might be proof that the book industry is not so rigid after all.


The book industry rigid? Bah!!! And I thought we were all shining examples of dynamism!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.