As we count down to the launch of Amy Jones's What Boys Like at the Gladstone on October 20th, I thought it might be interesting to try and answer that question, at least insofar as Amy's collection offers answers.
Thankfully, Amy has made my job quite easy. She is, like a couple of characters in her book, somewhat ... list-obsessed, and her blog Listophelia offers a small window in on that obsession. Among the myriad lists you'll find there -- including one about a Spongebob roller coaster -- are a few tied directly to her book. The one I'll post this morning is 'Songs Boys Like,' a soundtrack to the collection -- and hopefully the soundtrack to her book launch as well. Amy writes: "if this amazing soundtrack doesn't make you want to buy my book, then i don't know what will."
- "mr. jones" (a good girl) - sung by alex and yousef while drunk and high on a boat.
- "rock you like a hurricane" (a good girl) - on the radio while alex drives home hung over.
- "she will be loved" (a good girl) - alex and martine's first wedding dance.
- "oh what a night" (one last thing) - playing at julia's imaginary prom.
- "all apologies" (one last thing) - playing in the background at the coffee shop where julia searches for joey.
- "in bloom" (one last thing) - blasting from a car stereo.
- "girlfriend" (army of one) - playing on the radio as eric drives becca to the hotel.
- "all i want is you" (army of one) - the song playing in eric's head all day.
- "i'll be there" (all we will ever be) - emily and daniel's first junior high dance.
- "powderfinger" (all we will ever be) - emily buys daniel the record and they listen to it while they cook dinner.
- "funkytown" (all we will ever be) - emm and james get drunk and dance on a speaker.
- "knockin on heaven's door" (all we will ever be) - emily listens through her headphones while making coffee.
- "crazy" (all we will ever be) - emily and daniel dance in the kitchen.
- "wild horses" (all we will ever be) - playing on the radio the morning after.
- "bed of roses" (where you are) - playing on the radio when anna brings natalie home from the hospital.